Friday, October 2, 2009

Pat Phelan


Here is a little summary of some stuff I read on the interweb today

New England picked up Pat Phelan from Toronto FC in June 2008 in exchange for an international roster spot.


Pat this season has 18 games played 11 started and 953 minutes. New England now has to lean on him a little as Shalrie Joseph is out with an injury.

"I got drafted out of Wake to Toronto and never played a game, never got a shot with the first team," said Phelan. "Fair enough, that’s what happens a lot of times if you’re a rookie, you’ve got to pay your dues. They needed the international roster spot, they needed to bolster their roster."

"When I first heard about the trade I thought they just thought I was an unhappy kid who just wanted to go home," said Phelan, (this Blogger believed that to be just the case) "which wasn’t the case at all, but it’s nice to be close to home – my parents are close, my wife’s here. I’m a local kid and think New England might have drafted me had I been available, so it worked out well for both parties. I was also playing center back there which I didn’t really want to, so I was really excited to jump at the chance to come down here and start contributing. Fortunately, I’ve been able to stay within the top 15 players."

"There’s really no way to replicate the way Shalrie plays," said Phelan, "and that's usually when I’m in there - when he’s playing forward or suspended."

"I’ve got to wear this cast till about the middle of December, three months - it’s a long time and pretty obnoxious. I ran into the boards and lost my footing on the asphalt and landed on my wrist with all my weight and broke my scaphoid, which is an area that doesn’t get a lot of blood flow which is why it takes so long to heal. Instead of opting for surgery and missing a couple weeks I’m just going to wait it out in a cast."
It's nice to see Pat did not have anything negative to say about Toronto and he is doing well in the MLS for a second year player. His success says something about our scouting but not a whole lot about our General Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment