Thursday, September 10, 2009

DANNY DICHIO say it ain't so...


Danny Dichio announced his retirement early yesterday morning 09/09/09 go figure. I probably should have posted something yesterday but work (as usual) got in my way.

Danny had a good run with Toronto FC becoming a huge Icon here. He scored our first goal, I had tickets to that game and I will never forget that I was outside the stadium still trying to find a parking spot when he scored that first glorious goal. From outside the stadium it felt like an earthquake had started and all I could see blast out of the top were seat cushions that had been given away for free that day.

While with Toronto FC Danny managed 59 appearances and 14 goals over a span of 2 and a half seasons. He added creativity and spark to the team. I am sure the team and the fans will miss him greatly. Danny meant a lot to the players on the field I am sure Gabe Gala will never forget him. Danny set up a beautiful play that lead to Gabe scoring the only TFC goal against Real Madrid in August.

The Londoner will continue in soccer, with Toronto FC appointing him an academy coach and team ambassador, working in the community for the club.

I can't help but wonder if DD just paved the way for Carl Robinson to make a similair move at the end of the season. Hopefully with Julian deGuzman in the mix we will have a more stable midfield and possibly a shot at the playoffs. I can not help but wonder though if TFC made a mistake by not using Dichio in more games this season I felt he still had and has a lot to offer on the pitch.

Here is a link to some of Danny's greatest moments.

Cheers Danny! thanks for the great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment