Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nils Binstock is getting a shot to be a hometown Red

Nils Binstock is some local dude keeping his fingers crossed that TFC keeps 3 roster spots open for keepers this season. I love TFC adding Local or Canadian players to the team and I hope this kid makes it. If he does make it he better not be shit!! That will just piss me off.

Here is the article from the Toronto Sun..

Nils Binstock is getting a shot to be a hometown Red.

The Burlington netminder just got an invite to Toronto FC's goalkeeping combine, where he will try to win at least a spot on the training-camp roster. The combine goes Jan. 25-26 at Lamport Stadium.

"I received an e-mail from (TFC goalkeeping coach) Mike Toshack and he invited me out," Binstock said.

"The team had been following my progress for the past couple of years ... I don't know any of the other four or five 'keepers who will be invited out, but I think they could offer a contract to the best one."

And Binstock has given Toshack a lot to think about. In his final NCAA season at Iona College, he posted a stellar 0.66 GAA and a superb .849 GAA.

The combine will run before the scheduled opening of TFC's regular training camp and the Jan. 31 expiry of the current collective bargaining agreement between MLS and its players'union.

If there is no progress in talks, the owners are in position to lock out the players on Feb. 1.

STRONG AT GOAL

Even though TFC is stronger in goal than it is at any other position, with rookie-of-the-year Stefan Frei at No. 1 and Brian Edwards at backup, Binstock is hopeful that the Reds will keep three 'keepers in 2010. Once again, without a CBA in place, it's hard to guess what kind of roster limits will exist in 2010.

"I think they are going to be carrying three," Binstock said. "Last year, they ran into problems when Frei got hurt and Edwards had to jump in, and there was no back-up there. I know that D.C. United had a situation where both keepers were out and they needed an emergency replacement."

But, even if Binstock doesn't stick, the former Toronto Lynx and AB Copenhagen 'keeper knows getting this tryout will help him to get more trials at other clubs.

"I think it's a definite positive; it's a trial in a pro atmosphere," he said. "It still looks good on a resume. Toronto FC is my hometown team. If things don't work out, I want them to succeed, regardless."

No comments:

Post a Comment