Wednesday, September 28, 2011

TFC on paper is better than UNAM Pumas?

My dear brother-in-law and blogger on this site, Mike, officially went off the deep end last night. Mike has been having a long temper tantrum about MLSE and how they have ruined Toronto FC. He derides most every move they make and every result they achieve. Once a season ticket holder, he has become an embittered old man hating everything TFC.

Last night, following the 1-1 draw between TFC and UNAM Pumas, we exchanged text messages. We bitched about the horrible Setanta Sports broadcast (what was up with that, Setanta?) and he stated (again) that they (MLSE) need to fix the team. I pointed out that I wasn't disappointed in the draw and that TFC had put forth a good effort. "No shame in drawing a better team.", I said. Mike replied with "Fuck that, on paper we are better. Shame."

As you can imagine, dear reader (literally, probably only one reader), this blew my mind. This morning, Mike continued, suggesting I look up who is on their team, compare it to who we have, then accused me of being a typical Leaf fan, accepting mediocre teams. There is some truth in this - I am a Leaf fan, and probably too easily accept mediocrity. However, I felt I needed to address Mike's delusions in-depth.

So let's take a look at UNAM Pumas. They are ranked #7 in CONCACAF and #179 in the world by Oosterpark.  They have produced dozens of Mexican international players, a country that is currently ranked #20 by FIFA and has been as high as #5. 6 of their current players have recently played for the national team. They have won the Mexican league 7 times, including the Clausura 2011. They have been CONCACAF champions 3 times. They have been the champions of a now-defunct North and South American competition once. The Mexican league itself is ranked #12 in the world by IFFHS.

Our heroes Toronto FC, are not ranked by Oosterpark. The top ranked MLS team as of the end of 2010 was D.C. United, at #12 in CONCACAF and #306 in the world. As we know, D.C. United now sucks, and I'm sure their 2010 ranking is a result of past successes. Hey - there's the Puerto Rico Islanders at #1,736 in the world - we fall somewhere below them. Toronto FC currently features Canadian internationals Julian de Guzman and Terry Dunfield (and injured Adrian Cann), Jamaican international Ryan Johnson, Curacao international Javier Martina and Guadeloupe stalwart Eddy Viator. Comparing this to Mexico's #20 ranking, we see Jamaica at #45, #87 Canada, #178 Curacao and Guadeloupe not ranked. Toronto has won the MLS... Never, and never even made the playoffs. They haven't advanced out of the CONCACAF Champions League group stages. MLS is ranked #52 in the world by IFFHS - but is now second in CONCACAF, having passed the Costa Rican league!

Now, I don't believe that we should be thrilled that Toronto FC only managed to draw UNAM Pumas. I would have been ecstatic with a victory. But to claim that Toronto FC is better on paper and should have won is so ludicrous that I am beginning to question Mike's sanity.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, that's one fierce post. When I first read the heading I was concerned that perhaps this was going to turn into a personal attack and lack sufficient evidence to back-up your claim. In fact, prior to reading the argument I was thinking that I would post a response calling you both idiots for trying to compare two clubs for whom very little comparable empirical data exists, but I was proven wrong.

    I'm not saying that Mike is wrong, but I will concede that Travis makes one hell of a point. Based on this analysis I would have to agree that Pumas are the better team on paper, although I don't think that comes as a surprise. If you read any of the articles posted online ahead of the match you will see that TFC were always the underdogs, even at home. So yes, I have to agree that Travis is correct and Mike is wrong, but I still love Mike.

    I have a hard time with the MLSE bashing because 1) I'm a business-minded guy and understand that TFC exists to make money, and 2) I feel that MLSE are doing an amazing job. Profit margins in this league are wafer-thin for the 2-3 teams that post a profit, and MLSE has done an excellent job reinvesting these profits into the club. 3 DPs, a consultant to re-brand and re-form the club, millions spent on the stadium and TFC academy, and an almost pathetic attempt to make fans happy. If I were running the club I would make almost all of the same decisions that MLSE did, so I really can't join in on the bashing.

    I love TFC because they're my hometown team. I expect nothing of them but a good time at the games. If the club continues to lose year after year it will suck, but I don't think this will be the case. I have faith in the new direction of the club, of MLSE's commitment to building a solid franchise, and I must say, reading the TFC book that was sent a few weeks ago to loyal fans (those that renewed their season tix), I am sold. I am committed to renewing my tickets and continuing to support my boys. Like a good pair of boxer briefs.

    ReplyDelete